Wednesday, March 29, 2006

This is quite disturbing (at least the second half is)

Here is an update, not much but some.

***Most importantly I need your prayers for my future father-in-law, Don. He is undergoing open heart surgery today to replace his aortic valve. They’re replacing it with a pig valve, how cool (and at the same time weird) is that?! He’s 76 years old and his doctors have given him a very high success rate for the surgery. Glenn and I would greatly appreciate your prayers for a successful surgery and peace for the family. He is at the VA hospital in Dallas***

And for something completely different it looks as thought I’ll get to keep my toes which is a good thing. Let me explain…..
As I was driving to work yesterday I felt a string or something in the front of my shoe. I hate that feeling, but I toughed it out till I got to my desk and got to sit down to get it out. Welllll, I sit down and pull off my shoe to find the carcass of a spider all stuck to my toes, some of his legs were pulled off and strewn about my toe area (disgusting, I know). This wasn’t a little one either each leg was a good 3/4 inch long. Well instinctually I flicked off the curled up body onto the floor. It was about this time that I realized that that spider was spindly and brown. For those of you that grew up in Texas you probably haven’t encountered fiddlebacks all that much, but me being a native Oklahoman and having grown up in log cabin, I know these guys pretty well (and brown and spindly is a pretty good description). I google imaged a brown recluse because I considered posting a pic, nope all too scary, I suggest you don't do it, lots of rotting flesh pictures (I think I just threw up a little). I’ve encountered them many times, curled up in clothes on the floor, on the ceiling above my bed, and my personal favorite, climbing across my thigh as I was using the restroom (that was the worst). Needless to say I kind of became immune to these nasty little things. When you’re around them a lot it kind of losses it’s scary, oh my gosh those things can rot your skin off, effect. And I must admit I haven’t seen a one since I’ve moved to Texas and that’s been almost five years now. I know that ya’ll have just as scary things here in Texas (scorpions for instance) that would petrify me. Ok sorry for the ramble back to spidey in my shoe. So I’m sitting in my desk thinking ok I just flicked him on the floor he’s got to be right here. Panic kindof spread through my body because I know what their bites do to you, and also if they do bite you, you usually don’t feel it. So I’m looking at my toes for any puncture wounds, nothing there, but I’m still a bit shaken. So I decide all I have to do is find this little guy on the carpet, easy enough, yeah right. I get on my hands and knees to no avail the carpet is too multi colored and it’s way to dark. So I get a hold of Facilities and see if they can bring me a flashlight (because no one around me had one). They bring two up and we search again to no avail. So then it was only time that would let me know if I’d been bitten.

I’m glad to report no itching toes or flu like symptoms so I’m pretty much in the clear.

Blasted: When I got a replacement phone in the mail I managed to erase all my phone number off my SIM card, so if I had your number before please call me so I’ll have it in my phone, yes I know I’m a technological idiot.
Yippee: We are having Dr. Pepper Floats at our wedding reception, and according to the Baylor caterer we are the first wedding to request them, yep we’re cool!

No comments: