Monday, September 15, 2008

This is what I learned from my mother!


So my mom’s coming into town for the weekend to have a belated celebration of her birthday at the Plano Balloon Fest!

So in honor of Billie Jayne being in town and her birthday here we go!

Things I learned from my mother…

  • How to open a book correctly – next time you see me - ask and I’ll show you.
  • The kitchen sink is not meant for washing your hands – it for cooking. This one doesn’t really cross over to our household. But fair warning if you’re ever in the LeForce household – wash your hands in the bathroom sink! :)
  • That a perennial is nothing more than a pretty weed
  • If it’s raining and the sun is shining it’s gonna rain the next day
  • There are all kinds of smart
  • That if you haven’t raised your kids by the time you send them to college – you don’t really get any more chances.
  • To love the small things in life
  • How to do Cat’s Craddle
  • How to fix a snag in your clothing
  • You should never ask anyone how many acres they farm, how many cattle they run, how many square feet their house is or what they made on a test – because it’s just rude.
  • How to bottle feed kittens
  • In college you should study two hours for every hour in class, which I totally did ;)
  • How to balance my checkbook – this one was hard – I don’t know how many times she watched me cry as I attempted simple arithmetic! :)
  • How to prune a tree
  • If you have a convertible you must have some coordinating outfits!
  • That for the most part, wild animals are more scared of you than you are of them
  • When in someone else’s home – you eat what’s served you.
  • When you’re in your home – you eat what’s served you – once I stated that I didn’t want spaghetti for dinner – so I didn’t get it – as a matter of fact I got nothing!
  • How to be bold! I can’t tell you how many times we were at a concert or something and she would hand me a pen and the program and make me go get autographs!
  • What an amazing Christian woman looks like!
Granted this just scratches the surface of the many things that my mother taught me. But she’s a great mom and I’m lucky to have her!

As for the things my mother didn’t teach me – the one that will forever be in my memory. I was probably six (about the time little girls start caring what they look like) and I guess I’d asked my mom to do something to my hair. She looked and me and “Sweetie if you want your hair to look cute you’re going to have to fix it yourself.” And this fact can be evidenced by numerous grade school photos of some awesomely styled hair!

Yippee - to working out tonight
Blasted - to eating Mexican for lunch :(

1 comment:

Judy said...

You are blessed with a Godly wonderful mother! We sure would love to see her! Please tell her we said Happy Birthday! And tell her I need her prayers as I have a "little" Wade running around at my feet. :-)