Tuesday, October 11, 2005

This me giving blood

Today I did my civic duty and gave blood ( I don’t know if that’s civic or not but oh well)! I filled up the bag in six minutes, beat that! I figure I don’t mind giving blood so why not do it? But I do however forget every time the part that I hate the most (other than the finger prick) when you start to give and they lay the tube over your wrist and you feel how warm you blood is … yuck, makes me sick at my stomach. So now I’m not able to bend my right arm completely because of the bright green bandage which makes many mundane tasks quite difficult (man I hope I never have to wear a cast). For a person who doesn’t mind blood I’ve had a couple of disturbing incidents due to giving blood…

On September 12, my friends and I headed to the closest place we could give, even Michelle agreed to go which was huge! And as a perk Kristy got interviewed by a news crew (she’s that cool). So we all get in the room filled with the chairs and all took the positions, if I remember correctly Kristy and I were next to each other. So the phlebotomist starts in on my arm and somehow I manage to squirt blood, not a huge amount mind you, but I squirted nonetheless. When my friends got done gagging we had a good laugh at it!

Then later in college I decided on a whim after class to give blood in a blood mobile. I filled up my bag and headed to the front to take a seat and eat some cookies. I was feeling pretty woosy and so I stood up, stepped up the two little stairs up to the level where all the stations where and said, “I feel….” I don’t remember anything after that. The next thing I know I’m laying on one of the bed and having water poured all over me! I’d fainted. The nurses kept looking at my forehead like I had a huge growth on it and I couldn’t figure out what was going on. As soon as the commotion of me fainting wore off the nurse told me when I fainted I whacked my head on the counter! So I just laid there for awhile. The girl next to me was about to be stuck, she was as white as a sheet, I’d just keeled over right in front of her. They sent me home told me I couldn’t ride my bike, so I got to walk it all the way home. They also told me that I might have a concussion; you can image how thrilled I was. And I’m walking through campus with a soaked T-shirt and wet hair, when I see my roommate giving a tour of campus (we were both tour guides at Baylor). So of course I yelled to her and her group that I’d just fainted in the Blood Mobile. She, I’m sure, was thrilled I was making a spectacle of myself! Hey I’d just hit my head, what do you expect!


So there you have it my bloody escapdes!

Yippee – I get to eat a hearty meal (Carter Blood Care is insisting on it).
Blasted – I also ate a hearty lunch, bad Jen (they were really good quesadillas, reminded me of Collins)

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I am enjoying all the frequent posting. Seriously though..phlembologist...did you have to look that one up?